Before starting our field trip to dentist, we learned about oral health or role of a dentist.
We knew what 'dentist' do. "Dentists are doctors who specialize in oral health/hygiene."
Oral hygiene is the practice of keeping the mouth and teeth clean to prevent dental problems, most commonly, dental cavities, gingivitis, and bad breath.
The responsibilities of a dentist include:
- Diagnosing oral diseases.
- Promoting oral health and disease prevention.
- Creating treatment plans to maintain or restore the oral health of their patients.
- Monitoring growth and development of the teeth and jaws.
- Performing surgical procedures on the teeth, bone and soft tissues of the oral cavity.
Our field trip to dental clinic was related to these learning objects:
* Science- Our body, oral/dental health
* Geography- Our society and professions (dentist)
* The importance of visiting the dentist
* Adopting good brushing habits to maintain oral health
Now watch the pictures of our field trip:
|Watching video related to 'dental health' before leaving for our field trip|
|Happy faces of teachers and students|
|Najib Sir is explaining a work sheet about 'teeths' at CFC while waiting for our snacks|
|Before going upstairs at 'Dental Clinic', we stopped at CFC to have some snacks|
|Our children were very enthusiastic to offer volunteering patience services|
|Children are happy to learn about 'how a dentist perform his duties using variety of tools.|
|A view of dental clinic inside the office|
|Different dental tools|
|Now its time to learn and discuss more why we need to keep our teeth healthy by adopting good brushing habits after each meal.|
|Dental surgeon showing a tooth model|
|Correct brushing technique|
We saw a doctor attending his patients while another one attended us to demonstrate the job of a dentist. Our learning session with dentists became very interactive as our students played the role of patient and duty doctor gave the regular oral check up. Doctors were very friendly and they tried their best to make this session informative for our students. Doctors were kind enough to give small gifts to children which were 'tooth brushes, dental floss and their clinic sticker of a tooth shape.
Importance of regular visit to dentist:
"Too many people mistakenly believe that they need to see a dentist only if they are in pain or think something is wrong. A dental visit means being examined by a doctor of oral health capable of diagnosing and treating conditions that can range from routine to extremely complex.'
Dentists can provide guidance to children and parents, deliver preventive oral health services, and diagnose and treat dental disease in its earliest stages. This ongoing dental care will help both children and adults maintain optimal oral health throughout their lifetimes.
It's important to take care of your mouth and teeth starting in childhood. If you don't, you could have problems with your teeth and gums - like cavities or even tooth loss.
Here's how to keep your mouth and teeth healthy:
- Brush your teeth every day with a fluoride toothpaste
- Clean between your teeth every day with floss or another type of between-the-teeth cleaner
- Snack smart - limit sugary snacks
- See your dentist or oral health professional regularly