What is Brain Gym?
Brain Gym was developed in the 1980s by Dr. Dennison, an American teacher with an interest in the effect of movement on his students’ ability to learn.
Brain gym is an energising program of movement designed to release tense muscles, improve brain and body communication, create a state of active relaxation, and improve concentration, organisation and co-ordination.
Brain Gym movements prepare the brain and nervous system for optimal performance. They are ideal for anyone undertaking a learning activity.
This movement-based system activates and integrates the brain and body by:
* Enhancing learning ability and academic performance
* Balancing emotion and behavior
* Improving physical coordination and sports performance and
* Developing an overall state of wellness and momentum in any area of life
Those educators who have incorporated the techniques and activities into their classrooms report good results.
How to integrate Brain gym into the classroom?
- Many exercises can be performed while sitting at a desk. Children can be taught to engage in them when they feel their attention drifting or when they are feeling fatigued.
- These exercises can be done as a group during a lesson break.
- Brain gym helps in developing motor coordination and skills to follow directions.
Benefits of brain gym for learning:
* Academic skills - for example, reading, writing, spelling and maths
* Memory, concentration and focus
* Physical co-ordination and balance
* Communication skills and language development
* Self-development and personal stress management
* The achievement of goals - both professional and personal
This movement-based system offers additional assistance to children with learning difficulties and helps them achieve the best of success in their academic paths.
* Brain exercises that keep your brain sharp
* Brain Gym International
* Brain and Body Connection
* Brain Gym - Simple Body Movements to Boost Learning Process
* Brain buttons